Written Experiential Assessment
As part of the Aquarium Science Program application, you must complete the following writing assignment. Please address your experience in each category keeping in mind how you would make a positive contribution to OCCC. Respond to all five questions and limit your response to 100 words per answer.
To complete the assessment:
1. Type your name at the top of the document.
2. At the top of each response, type the words "Response to Question #". This ensures that each response is identified with the appropriate question. Responses do not have to be on separate pages.
3. Type your responses using Arial or Calibri 12 pt. font, double-spaced and left-hand justified. Do not include watermarks, borders, shading, pictures, clip art, word art, letterhead, footnotes, etc.
4. Attach/upload your responses in a single document file in the marked field below. Please use your last name as part of the file name, for instance "Boles_questions.pdf".
Program faculty and staff will score each response on objective criteria. Scoring is based on the merit of each response and is not compared to other answers. The Written Experiential Assessment will be worth 25% of the total maximum application points.
Answer each of the following questions according to the criteria outlined above:
1. Knowledge in a field/creativity: Describe any of your special interests and how you have developed knowledge in these areas. Give examples of your creativity such as your ability to see alternatives, take diverse perspectives, come up with many, varied or original ideas, and/or willingness to try new things.
2. Dealing with adversity: Describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to address this challenge. Include whether you turned to anyone in facing that challenge, the role that person played, and what you learned about yourself through the process.
3. Community service: Explain what you have done to make your community a better place to live. Give examples of specific projects in which you have been involved over time.
4. Handling systemic challenges: Describe your experiences facing or witnessing discrimination. Tell how you responded and what you learned from those experiences and how they have prepared you to contribute to the OCCC community.
5. Goals and task commitment: Articulate the goals you have established for yourself and your efforts to accomplish these goals. Give at least one specific example that demonstrates your work ethic and diligence.